Anomalous Subsurface Environment - Google+ Campaign Jeff's 20 Questions and Untimeately 20 Questions.
Never did answer the 40 questions about ASE - so here goes.
Jeff's 20 Questions
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?The town of Denethix and its satellite villages are your best bet. There are shops and the bazaar.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?Assuming that happens, likely a blacksmith in the bazaar of Denethix can make it for you.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?Why Feretha master of Denethix of course. To say otherwise would be treason!
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?Tricky, Now Captain Tyro of the Fist is no pushover, but there's supposed to be some mighty barbarians in the Worthless North, the swords-masters of the Eater Elves are pretty skilled, and there's always the Moktar champions and deadlier bounty killers of the Certopsian Plains.
- Who is the richest person in the land?Well the mysterious bee riding Wizard from the South Hexamacht the Apigamon appears to have an inexhaustible supply of rubies, diamonds and emeralds – that has to count for something. Otherwise some of the merchants, manufacturers and bureaucrats of Denethix are pretty wealthy.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?The Priests and Priestesses of the Orbital Gods can show you the power divine mercy if tithe a sufficient amount of coin. They sure are greedy those gods. Also the Temple of Science might be able to provide “healing” in the form of skin grafting, implants and prosthesis and such.
The Church of the Orbital Gods is vast – pick a deity, it likely exists – the weirder the better. There's a table I can roll on for you as well. Monstcrom, the god of dooms and felines is a personal favorite. Of course whatever petty satellite borne deity you pick, know that the others all get a piece of you as well and may/will make demands of your cleric. If you want to be a member of the Church of Starry Wisdom roll up an Assassin or wizard.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy,polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?Poison and disease the Scientists might be able to handle the rest you'll need to seek the aid of the orbital gods. Lost super-science or a friendly wizard might be a help as well.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?What? You're a magic user – you know that magic is an addiction that leads to megalomaniacal insanity right? No.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?Denethix is just bubbling over with skilled craftsmen and experts.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?Several bars along the streets of Lesser Men, Industrious Efforts and the Alien tend to have desperate sell swords or cater to wandering antisocial types.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?Magic isn't illegal, but you know it's a dangerous addiction, heck even a variegated eye-leech fiend knows that. The law doesn't take kindly to people starting trouble, agitating among the lower classes or bad mouthing their betters.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?Any which way. Every major street in Denethix and the outlaying villages has at least one tavern of some sort.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?It's not so much monsters as Wizards. Kill a mad Wizard and you'll be famous.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?The Nomads of the Lanthanide Wastes have risen up under the serpent khan and are threatening the valuable Certopsian Trade. The Fist is recruiting.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?It's best to sell yourself into slavery first – there are short term indentures for arena fighting, but really it's against the law to do it as a free person – the pit fighters just won't have that sort of unseemly thing.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?Yes, The Scientists, The Church of the Starry Wisdom, Society of the Luminous Spark League of Flesh Debtholders, various criminal organizations.
- What is there to eat around here? Sure theres several tables – from humble Mold cake to decadent dinosaur filets of various kinds covered in gold leaf.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?Anything from the pre collapse era will fetch a good price, but nothing really legendary. It's about volume not uniqueness – the world is very old, unique junk that was once fancy is everywhere.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?Where you least expect it – or within the Anomalous Subsurface Environment.
Brendan's 20 Questions
- Ability scores generation method?Roll 3D6 x 7 and drop any one you want. Arrange how you feel best suits your class and play style. You may buy points of your prime requisite for 2 points of any other ability.
- How are death and dying handled?Badly. At the end of a battle/event where you were reduced to zero HP, you are allowed a Saving Throw vs. Death. If anyone rushed to your aid and gave you first aid you get a +1 to that roll. Immediate healing within a round of death that brings you to positive HP will prevent death. Anytime you are reduced to zero HP you will suffer permanent disability/injury. There are some situations where death will not allow a saving throw.
- What about raising the dead?Hardly ever happens – unless zombie thrall counts. Ancient super-science might offer some opportunities for resurrection as do high level clerics (not the NPC ones most likely).
- How are replacement PCs handled?You may promote a henchman mid game, otherwise roll up a new one. ½ of decedent's XP will be given to replacements so that the group stays reasonably close in level.
- Initiative: individual, group, or something else?Group Initiative each round and then action by choice. Some bonuses will effect chance of surprise, but not initiative.
- Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?Yes. Critical hits on natural 20 cause x2 damage (certain classes get critical hits on lower numbers). Fumbles occur on a natural 1 and will be up to GM discretion – usually you will hurt yourself or drop you weapon, they will not be lethal unless flaming oil is involved.
- Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?You look snazzy and will get bonuses to certain saves.
- Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?Yes, assuming you miss your target.
- Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?You should consider running from many encounters, though theoretically everything can be killed.
- Level-draining monsters: yes or no?Yes.
- Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?Frequently, what else is a saving throw for – they can be minimized by player knowledge.
- How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?A bit – I will allow a fair amount but bulky treasure or excessive junk will mean you are encumbered.
- What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?XP as in the Labyrinth Lord publications. You gain levels between sessions. New spells must be researched or recovered/scribed from scrolls.
- What do I get experience for?Completing larger goals, exploration, treasure and killing monsters (in that order).
- How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?Traps can be discovered by noticing their telltale signs (like holes in walls and acid stains). A secret roll when encountering a trap will be made to determine if a thief “feels danger” - otherwise you're on your own.
- Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?Retainers are encouraged, and Charisma is important to their moral, availability and ability. Morale works like it does for monsters – when things look bad or the retainer suffers injury they will run. At the end of each session retainers may leave based on a roll and bonuses/penalties associated with PC action.
- How do I identify magic items?By paying someone to do it or casting detect magic and then experiementing. Sages aren't always honest or competent.
- Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?No but you can buy guns. Also one's never sure what's for sale in the bazaar.
- Can I create magic items? When and how?Sure – on an ad hoc basis if you invest time, money and magical components.
- What about splitting the party?Never Split the Party? You can do what you want, but your friends left to guard the camp may be annoyed while they listen to your adventures.